Recent reports from Linux Foundation and Robert Half show a surge in demand for open source technology skills.
The 2020 Jobs Report published by the Linux Foundation says:
- 37% of hiring managers say they will be hiring skilled IT professionals in the next six months, despite the COVID-19 pandemic.
- 93% of hiring managers report difficulty finding sufficient talent with open source skills.
- 65% of companies surveyed are looking to hire DevOps talent, up from 59% in 2018.
- 70% of companies are looking for hires with cloud expertise.
The Linux Foundation report also indicates companies are willing to assist existing employees in acquiring or advancing their skills, saying:
- 80% of employers now provide online training courses for employees to learn open source software.
- 74% of employers are willing to pay for employees’ certification.