The global number of cloud native developers has grown in the last 12 months to 6.8 million, according to the latest State of Cloud Native Development report from the Cloud Native Computing Foundation (CNCF).
Key takeaways include:
- 5.6M developers use Kubernetes.
- Kubernetes is used by 31% of all backend developers.
- The most significant predictor of Kubernetes adoption is the size of the organization, as adoption of Kubernetes and containers “skyrockets” for organizations with more than 500 employees.
- Cloud native computing is most widely adopted in Oceania (56%), North America (47%), and Western Europe (46%).
- Edge computing has experienced rapid growth in adoption and now has the highest usage rates of both containers and Kubernetes.
Additionally, the reports notes that although overall awareness of Kubernetes has significantly increased, “21% of backend developers say they have heard of Kubernetes but are unsure what it does. Another 11% say they have not heard of Kubernetes.”