Python is a general-purpose language that is widely used to build websites and software, automate tasks, and conduct data analysis, according to Coursera. For example, data scientists and other data professionals frequently use Python “to conduct complex statistical calculations, create data visualizations, build machine learning algorithms, manipulate and analyze data, and complete other data-related tasks.” Entry-level software developers can also leverage Python skills to improve their job prospects and earn higher salaries.
In this article, we’ve rounded up several ways to start learning Python, including free online courses, tutorials, articles, and more.
Free Guides and Tutorials
- 10 Python Code Challenges for Beginners — Codecademy has compiled this list of coding challenges that focus on skills that you'll use to complete software projects.
- An Introduction to Python for Non-Programmers — This tutorial series from Jack Wallen walks you through the fundamentals of Python.
- Beginner's Guide to Python — Python.org provides an array of resources suitable for those with experience programming in other languages as well as for non-programmers. They also provide a list of non-English resources.
- How to Graph in Python —This tutorial aimed at beginners provides an introduction to gathering and graphing data in Python.
- Learn Python by Example — This website offers a comprehensive list of tutorials that will take you from the basics all the way through advanced Python topics.
- Learn Python — These free tutorials explore various Python data science topics.
- Make a Countdown and Pomodoro Timer in Python —This beginner-level tutorial shows step by step how to create a Pomodoro timer using Python.
- Python in 4 Hours — This YouTube course from freeCodeCamp provides a full introduction to all of the core concepts of Python.
- PythonForBeginners.com — This site offers free tutorials and blogs, ranging from beginning to advanced, to help you learn Python.
- 10 Best Python Books for Beginners & Advanced Programmers from Hackr.io
- Free Python Courses for Beginners from freeCodeCamp
- What’s in a Dictionary from Towards Data Science
- What’s new in Python 3.10 from InfoWorld
If you're ready to find a job, check out the open Python developer positions at: Open Source JobHub.